Quinn's actual age

Quinn's adjusted age

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Sharing the news

It has been so much fun telling people we are expecting!  Finally, after 2 months of keeping the secret, we're sharing the good news of what God has done.  One of my favorites was telling my aunt. I call her "Ciocia," which is Polish for aunt.  I call my grandmother "Babci," which is a derivative of the Polish word for grandmother.  I called my aunt and told her I had a question for her.  I asked, "I know that prababci is 'great-grandmother' in Polish, but does 'praciocia' mean 'great-aunt?'"  Without suspecting our news based on the question, she answered, "No, it's something else...let me see...oh, I can't remember what it is."  I told her she'd better find out because she was going to be one (it's ciotki, by the way).  She was so excited! 

We went to tell my brother and sister-in-law in person.  We told them we wanted to come over to play the Wii with them.  While my bro was showering after work, my husband got on their Wii and created a Mii called "Baby."  When it came time to play, my husband chose that Mii as his character.  My brother said, "Did you make that the last time you were here?"  He said no, he had made it today.  I chimed in and said, "But you'll have to wait until next year to meet the real thing." 

When I called my parents, Dad answered the phone, and I told him I had a baking question (he is a baker, so this is a normal thing for me to do), but that I thought Mom might know the answer too, so could he put her on the phone as well?  I asked them, "What kind of bun bakes in the oven, but can't be eaten?"  I found this on the internet, so I can't take credit for the cheesy-ness, but it worked in this situation.  There was a moment of silence on the other end of the line, then Dad started laughing a knowing laugh.  "The same kind your cousin is having," he said.  I replied, "Well, we're going to have one, too!" 

My husband's parents were driving when we called them, so we chatted for awhile until they got home so that his Mom wouldn't drive off the road!  We told them we wouldn't be able to come for the Christmas gathering this year, because we might be at the hospital.  His Mom got it right away, saying, "For something that I'll be really happy about?" 

We told my husband's sister by asking our 2 year old nephew if he wanted a cousin.  I think he said yes, but I couldn't tell with all the whooping and hollering going on.

Thank you all for sharing in our joy!